SCHNEIDER UPDATE HUGE Changes coming

When we originally got to Indianapolis the plan was that we were going to be there for 18 days straight. When we arrived Monday they told us that they were changing the class schedule. What USE to happen, is you would do a week IN CLASS, then spend time with your TE (Training Engineer, that's what Schneider calls their road trainers" then for the 3rd week we would be back in class, learning how to work the computer on board and trip planning (which coincidentally was what you learned when you where out with your TE, which I thought was odd) so instead, we did 2 weeks in class room, then week 3 we met up with our TE, which is were we will start this blog.

        Was told Friday I would be going to Gary Indiana OC (operating center, were driver services is, maintenance and people park their trucks and vehicles while on the road) little out of my way but just another hiccup to get my own truck, and I would have to drive to Indy OC to pick up a rental car to drive to Gary OC. I got up Sunday morning at 0300 to be on the road by 0400 because I had to be IN Indianapolis by 0700 and I wanted to give my self time to get there since there was construction on I-74. Got to the Indy OC, and got a shuttle to the Indianapolis Airport to pick up my rental car. When I got to the Rental Company, they didn't have a mid-size car for me (think Chevy Cruze, Toyota Corolla great for a tall feller) so they said you can choose ANY Car on their lot. The attendant said you are a tall fellow why not a Chevy Silverado? Um NO THANK YOU, To much on the gas tank. So I chose a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee which was a REALLY NICE jeep. Headed North bound to Gary Indiana and the Best Western hotel in Hammond Indiana (which was a mile and a half from the Gary OC) Upon arrival at 11:30 am I checked into my room, which was a King Size suite. Realizing I didn't have to meet my trainer for another 22 hrs or so, I sure as heck wasn't going to set around the hotel and watch 23 channels. So having spent time in the area in my past, I knew exactly where I was heading 24 miles North West, Chicago, more specifically Navy Pier.
     So hoped in the Jeep and headed out. After few short moments I arrive at Navy Pier, (posted some pics) walked around saw some really neat shops, saw TONS of boats, couple LARGE Private Yachts, couple AWESOME JET BOATS that people go on tours on around the harbor. Got to see President Trumps Tower in downtown, with Willis Towers, drove by Soldier Field while the bears were playing patriots. I looked at my cell phone and noticed they where about 2:00 min from the end of the game so I decided to head for more exciting locations.  Google Maps took me 4.2 miles South West to 1360 S. Blue Island Avenue in Chicago. Also known as the fire house in the tv show Chicago Fire, it is very much an active fire house and even during filming it remains active. When I arrived, I really was left speechless, seeing a set from my Favorite Tv Show in person was pretty cool. (as some of you know I actually got to work First Aid on a pretty big Reality TV show when it filmed in Louisville was on the set for 2 nights of Extreme Make Over Home Edition) snapped a couple pictures and looked in the window, I was going to go in but looked like they were in the middle of a meeting with the Battalion Chief and District Chief so didn't want to interrupt them. Was almost surreal to be there. I walked around the block and saw a community garden were during the season you can rent a plot of land to grow vegetables and even had 12 active bee hives which was pretty cool. Right up the street a block is the Exterior of the Police Dept Precinct 14 obviously for security reasons I could NOT go inside, but still pretty cool to see. Was fun to walk around the block see different filming locations from the TV show. I will go back one day and take a tour and get more pictures etc. HOWEVER I am less interested in the "Tv SHOW Spots" as to learning the history of The actual fire house, seeing the wall of heros' talking to the crew. For now just relishing in the fact I got to be in such a cool place. Went back to the hotel and slumbered 
    Monday morning got to sleep in a little bit (till 0800 went to main dining had free breakfast, scrambled eggs, toast, sausage, Orange Juice) Drive over to Gary OC, where I was told there would be 2 students in the truck instead of just me, which kind of was good and bad, the good is we would get to stay in hotels every night that bad we have to split driving, which I hate because I want to drive but it is what it is right? So any way meet our TE and he said I'm parked in the fuel island 2nd truck over, so we head over and I stop dead in my tracks emblazoned on the side of his trailer DOLLAR GENERAL. Now I have heard HORROR Stories about this account, but I'll get to that part. So we put our suitcases into the truck, we roshambo to see who would drive first and I "won" so we pre trip the truck, square up paperwork and down the road we go, to the Dollar General Distribution center in Janesville Wisconsin 150 miles away, was suppose to be a drop and hook and book. We arrived at 13:30 dropped the trailer off and went inside to get paper work for our next trip. When we get inside they tell us the DC is behind and our load won't be ready until 1800, wait what? So we sit in the office and wait, the safety manager came in and asked if we would be interested in doing some backing training? UM YES PLEASE, so we got to spend 3 GREAT Hours learning from the best, how to properly and safely maneuver in close quarters, backing into tight docks. I learned more in the 3 hours I was there then probably the last several months training before with Titan and Schneider. So at 1830 we went back to the office and our trailer was ready, so we go pick it up 5 hours behind schedule, hook up and head over to the scale to make sure the tandems are okay and weight is in check. Well we weigh and are 1800 pounds over weight, so we went to the dock to re-work. Well 2 hours later and our clock quickly dwindling down (we are going on the TE 14 hour clock which started at 0900) So we get up the road with my team mate driving 70 miles to our hotel. Tuesday morning we get up and head to Merril Wisconsin and deliver 3 different stores in the area before we head back to the DC. We stay over night in Portage Wi and then head to the DC. Seems like all the easy backs into store happened while my co driver was driving all the very difficult to back into docks happened while I was driving. However while we did those 3 hours of training all the "difficult" docks became fairly easy to do. We get back to the DC Thursday eve for a quick drop and hook and are 1200 pounds over weight, so back to the dock we go, thankfully they where quick to off load the weight and get us to davenport for the night. We delivered two stores Friday in Davenport and ran over to Illinois, dropped at the store then went back to the Gary OC, finished paper work and spent few mins gathering some words of wisdom. My co driver was going to finish his testing out at the Gary Oc and get his truck from there. I got in my rental and drove back to Indy to turn in my rental and head back to the house for Satuday Sunday. Had to return to Indy EARLY Monday morning to do SQT (Skills Qualification Testing) make sure we can safely handle the equipment before we get handed the reins to the $250,000 piece of equipment. I left the house Monday morning at 0345 to make sure I had time to get through traffic. Arrived at Indy at 0620 just in time for our 630 test, then comes my favorite part of trucking...HURRY UP AND WAIT, I finally got to meet with a trainer to go out and take the road portion of the test at 1230. Passed that and a short written test (100 questions which I missed 1 on) then was told to sit around and wait for everyone else to finish (20 tests with 3 trainers...HAHA) so at 16:00 we still had 6 people to go. The Training manager came out and said "we need to get everyone's info so you can call your DBL (Driver Business Leader, basically your dispatcher) so he got everyones, but told me he had to find mine and he would be back in a little bit just hang tight. 1700 rolls around and I see him walking on the front door getting in his car to go home... OKAY. So I follow suite and go home figure I will call them Tuesday and get the info then. 

   Tuesday Morning, get up get kids on da bus and call Indy to find out info, am told everyone is in meetings to call back later. 1330 my phone rings with a number out of Atlanta MY Account Manager calling me. He said he got the info from Indy that I had passed all my tests and I was good to go. He wanted to know if we could change my route a little. Um sure what do you have in mind? He said the Haverty dedicated account runs from Fairfield ohio to Atlanta Ga, lakeland florida and Mobile Al, the longest distance is between Atlanta and Fairfield and they are looking for a relay team, basically one guy would pick the trailer up from Atlanta and take it to Knoxville Tn, then I will pick the trailer up in Knoxville and bring it back to Fairfield OH. I will meet in Knoxville at 0100 and drive to Fairfield ohio and then be done for the day. So I would leave here around 2100 get to Nashville around 0100 and be done for the day by 0700 same route EVERY DAY, so excited over night I went from being gone 5 days a week to being home EVERYDAY so happy. It's finally happening. Thank you for all your prayers and support these last few months. Onward to amazing things..


I can do ALL THINGS Through Christ Our Lord 
Praise be to God
firemedic2816  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4

Schneider Day #3 Done

Day 1 Schneider Attempt #2